Andrew L. Tan is an entrepreneur from the Philippines who engages in real estate, liquor and fast food. According to a 2007 edition of the Forbes Magazine, Tan became the Philippines’ fourth billionaire after Jaime Zobel de Ayala, Henry Sy and Lucio Tan (no relation). His fortune that year was $1.1 Billion. It declined to $700 Million due to stock problems.
Originally a poor immigrant from China, Tan was born in the Fujian province. He spent his childhood at an apartment in Hong Kong which was shared by other families and had short supply. Later, he moved to Manila where he studied accounting at University of the East. For economic reasons, he would head to school walking rather than riding on public transportation. He then graduated. During his early years in business, the government of Quezon City honored him “Businessman of the Year” for 2004.
- Name: Andrew L. Tan
- Place of Birth: Fujian province
- School Attended:
- Accounting, University of the East
- Alliance Global Group Inc. (AGI)
- Megaworld Corporation
- Emperador Distillers Incorporation
- Golden Arches Development Corporation
- “Businessman of the Year” for 2004, government of Quezon City