Scott Weiland is an American musician, lyricist, and vocalist, most notably known for his work with Grammy Award-winning rock band Stone Temple Pilots. Weiland is also known for his five-year career with supergroup Velvet Revolver and his own solo career. Weiland is one of the most successful frontmen to emerge from the 1990s.
His onstage persona is known as being flamboyant and chaotic and is known to constantly change his appearance and vocal style. Despite his success, his career has been plagued with heroin addiction, as well as several arrests. However, according to MTV News, Weiland has been free from heroin since 2002. In 2007, Weiland was placed at #57 on Hit Paraders list of "Heavy Metal’s All-Time Top 100 Vocalists."
While STP went on hiatus after the release of Tiny Music…, the other members of the band created the group Talk Show with lead singer Dave Coutts. Weiland, meanwhile, adopted an androgynous look and released a solo album in 1998 called 12 Bar Blues. Weiland wrote most of the songs on the album, and collaborated with several artists, notably Daniel Lanois, Sheryl Crow, Brad Mehldau and Jeff Nolan. The album was a commercial failure but it managed to achieve some critical acclaim. It was also during this time that Weiland was caught in Manhattan buying heroin, dressed like a pimp, ending his brief tour. A previous conviction in Los Angeles, coupled with numerous probation violations, earned Weiland jail time.
On November 25, 2008, Weiland released his second solo album, "Happy" in Galoshes, produced by Weiland and songwriting-producing partner Doug Grean. Weiland went on tour in early 2009 to promote the album. Weiland’s first stop on his promo tour was Austin ,Texas.
On November 17, 2009, Weiland released a cover of the classic Christmas song "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" to iTunes.
- Birth name : Scott Richard Kline
- Born : October 27, 1967
- Origin : Santa Cruz, California, USA
- Genres : Alternative rock, hard rock, grunge, heavy metal, neo-psychedelia
- Occupations : Musician, singer-songwriter
- Instruments : Vocals, Guitar, Keyboards, Piano, Synthesizer, Organ, Percussion
- Years active : 1986–present
- Labels : Atlantic records
- Associated acts : Stone Temple Pilots, Velvet Revolver, Camp Freddy, The Magnificent Bastards, The Wondergirls, Limp Bizkit
- Website : www.scottweiland.com
with Stone Temple Pilots
- Core (1992)
Tiny Music… Songs from the Vatican Gift Shop (1996)
No. 4 (1999)
Shangri-La Dee Da (2001)
with Velvet Revolver
- Contraband (2004)
- Libertad (2007)
- 12 Bar Blues (1998)
- "Happy" in Galoshes (2008)
- The Crow – "Big Empty" (1994)
- Tank Girl (1995) – "Mockingbird Girl" with The Magnificent Bastards
- Great Expectations (1998) – "Lady, Your Roof Brings Me Down"
- Not Another Teen Movie (2001) – "But Not Tonight"
- Hulk (2003) – "Set Me Free"
- The Fantastic Four (2005) – "Come On, Come In"
- Bug: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (2007) – "Beautiful Day"
- Evan Almighty (2007) – "Revolution"