Teresita Sy-Coson, one of the world’s most powerful women in business, is the daughter of Henry Sy who is a Chinese-Filipino owner of SM Investments Corporation. The eldest, she was groomed by his father as his successor. She is considered as one of the most prominent people in the Philippines as mentioned in the list of Philippine Tatler’s “Who’s Who of the Philippines”.
A student at the Assumption College, she started doing part-time work in one of the SM stores. In 1990 Sy-Coson, then 39 was appointed president of Shoemart, Inc.
A woman successor of his Henry Sy, she holds several key positions within the organization. She is vice-chairman of Investments Corporation, the SM Group’s holding company, which set the record for largest Philippine initial public offering in 2005; the president of SM, Inc., which handles the group’s department store business; and director of SM Prime Holdings, which owns and operates its chain of supermalls. She is also vice-chairman of Equitable PCI Bank, which recently merged with Banco de Oro Universal Bank, SM’s main bank. When the merger takes full effect, she will be chairman of the merged bank, BDO EPCI Bank.
For her leadership abilities, she was counted among Fortune magazine’s Top 50 influential women in international business, the only Filipina included in the list. She ranked no. 47 in 2004. As the Vice Chairman of SM Investments, she ranked 46 in 2005 Fortune’s Most Powerful Women in Business, an annual ranking of America’s leading businesswomen. In 2007, she was in Fortune Magazine’s 50 Most Powerful Women in the World, she is number 41 in the list of 50.
- Name: Teresita T. Sy
- Father: Henry Sy Sr
- School Attended : Assumption College
- 2007-2007 : Chairperson : Banco De Oro Unibank, Inc.
- 2006-Present : Former Vice Chairperson Equitable PCI Bank Inc.
- 2005-Present : Chairman – BDO Leasing & Finance,Inc.
- 2004-Present : Former Independent Director – Philippine Long Distance Telephone Co.
- 1994-Present : Executive Vice President and Advisor – SM Prime Holdings Inc.
- 1979-Present : Vice Chairman and Director of SM Prime – SM Investments Corp.
- The Asian Banker Achievement Award for Women in the Financial Services Industry 2006
- Fortune Magazine’s 50 Most Powerful Women in the World, she is number 41 in the list of 50.